Friday, December 31, 2010

Christmas Talent

For Christmas I went down to Sacramento to be with Derek and his extended family. The main reason was that they did not know he had already proposed. I walk into the house where everyone is and their jaws drop. No one knew I was coming except for Derek, Rebecca and his brother. There were 30 people there. In Derek's family you have to do a talent to get your presents, which is so fun! Singing, poems, feet of strength and favorite things wresting match topped the talents. Mine was to play the piano. I started out with chopsticks, they didn't go for it, so I started to play Prelude in C. I was so nervous I could only play the first 10 or so measures before my fingers wouldn't work anymore. Derek's talent was to tell the story of how we met and to 'pop' the question. I think he was just as nervous as I was. The story went out the window. Instead he said he wanted to give me this! And he held up the ring. Keep in mind that everyone is either sitting on the floor or on a chair and Derek is standing up. No one could really see the ring and arms length above his head. After one of the kids asked "What is it?" he lowered it and gasps and hoots spread throughout the room! Grandma practically jumped out of her chair and forced her way through the group of people surrounding us and hugged Derek and I.  Someone in the back, I think Mitch, yelled "Kiss her!" and he did!! I got the John Wayne kiss! If you don't know what that is you need to watch any of his movies. It was a pretty good kiss. He was just as nervous as I was, I could feel his shaking. They all asked what my answer was and of course I said YES!
This was the talent of the ages!!!

1 comment:

  1. Awe! Glad it was a good KISS! ;) He is very inventive! I like him already!

    ReplyDelete